When you move to a new home, it’s best to make sure that you hire the best Los Angeles movers possible. After all, you want to ensure that everything makes it from point A to point B in good shape.
In addition to making sure you have the right moving company, you will need to do a few things to get settled in your new home and life.
- As soon as you move, be sure to establish a local support system. You’re going to need to notify government agencies of your new address, set up new accounts, and set up a new local support system, including the following:
- Utility providers: utilities such as hot water, air, and lights are very easy to take for granted- until you don’t have them. You’re going to want to be sure to contact local gas and electric companies several weeks in advance to give them enough time to get everything set up for you.
- Vehicle registration: when you move, you must also notify state and municipal revenue authorities of the vehicles that will be registered to your new address. Once in the database, they will send you notification of licensing and property tax deadlines. Getting this taken care of ahead of time will save you lots of hassle when you make your first visit to the DMV to update plates and license.
- Voter registration: make sure to take the time to get registered to vote before you move in order to avoid any election day hassles. You will want to check with the local electoral commission in order to find out about any local rules, election dates, and polling locations.
- Have mail forwarded: the USPS will allow you to have your mail forwarded from your old address to your new one for up to a year. However, this requires you to renew after the first 6 months of free forwarding service.
- Find out where health resources are: it’s better to be safe than sorry- find out where the popular clinics, health care providers, and pharmacies are and create a contact list for everyone in the family. In addition, don’t forget about veterinary services for your pets.
- Keep track of all receipts: if you are moving because of your job, chances are you will be able to write off many of your moving-related expenses. Keep them in a safe place and consult with a tax advisor.
In addition to making sure you hire the best Los Angeles movers, make sure you follow these tips to make your transition easier.